Thursday, September 22, 2011

Prairie

Photo By Fred Fiato

I thought I would post something I didn't really like. This picture has a lot of subjects I like--prairie, rolling hills, darkening clouds. But it all doesn't come together for me. I think it might be all the yellow. That kind of makes the prairie a difficult subject. It's yellow a lot. I guess that's a challenge to the photographer to find a way to make it work because with all its vastness, it can be quite beautiful.

This photo is an example of something technically sound that doesn't make a great composition. It has the five planes. 1. The weeds in the foreground are an interesting landscape detail that give scale. 2. The mid-ground has the tire tracks that lead the eye. 3. The hills are the center of interest. 4. The cloud plane has clouds. 5. And then there's a little blue sky.

It technically works on the five planes and if that's how you judge a work, then it'll work for you. But, to apply it to the aesthetic rules, there's too much yellow. One thing from those rules that I think should be broken here. The photo might be more attractive if the clouds were darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment